apocalypse-puppy

A record of thoughts about teaching, writing, and living the academic life.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

looking for acanthus and meander


As I mentioned before, one set of questions I'm taking with me as I experience Roman Judea is how first-century (BCE and CE) Judean architecture may have signaled Roman patronage. Herod the Great had an interesting relationship to Roman power, as I'm learning in Martin Goodman's Rome and Jerusalem (2008). Although this book is over 600 pages, pointing to Goodman's detail, it really is interesting. In fact, I'm finding it very hard to put down. Goodman's style is clear and interesting as he explores the political realities of Rome and Jerusalem and their complex inter-relations in the first centuries BCE and CE. His driving question is what led to the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple in 70. You can find a review of the book here. But back to Herod, he was a supporter of Mark Antony and Cleopatra, yet after Actium he was able to develop a relationship with Octavian. Octavian even expanded the territory under Herod's control and Herod honored him by dedicating the new port Caesarea to the Emperor--a prime example of the patron-client relationship if ever there was one. Of course, the relationship between Rome and Jerusalem didn't end with Herod (d. 4BCE) . . .

Given this, I'm interested in looking for decorative patterns that might signal this patronage. In particular, I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for the acanthus plant and the meander pattern, two motifs that have a prominent place on the Ara Pacis, which was dedicated in 9BCE in Rome. These decorative patterns suggest the abundance and life that comes along with the peace of the Empire, as our Italy study abroad students know oh so well. (My co-teacher and I have students sit and "read" the Ara Pacis, encouraging them to attend as closely to the lower panels as the figurative panels of the upper half of the monument.)



That these patterns signaled patronage is evident in Pompeii, where the Fuller's Building, which sits right on the Forum, is decorated with a boarder of acanthus and little animals (e.g. frogs, birds) like the Ara Pacis. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a picture of this . . . clearly, I need to go back to Italy to take one!

More about the meander pattern later . . . perhaps.

2 comments:

  1. This is pretty exciting Lynn! Coincidentally I am also reading about the destruction and looting of the Temple of Jerusalem. My book's not convincing when it gets to Rome, but it does point out that the destruction of the Temple was written "on" Rome in ways I hadn't noticed before. I will be curious to see what you see in Jerusalem, I keep reading you won't see much, it's surprisingly absent/erased. One thing I would add is that it's not just acanthus and the meander you should look for but references to fecundity. Those little birds in the vegetation at Pompeii and the specific flowers on the Ara Pacis are a significant part of the iconography. If you haven't read it, you might look at Peter J. Holliday, "Time, History, and Ritual on the Ara Pacis Augustae". http://www.jstor.org/stable/3045761

    Wish I was going too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the lil' creatures are also on my radar. I'll try to check out the article soon, sounds good. Also, I think you are in that picture of the ara pacis I posted. It's a bit blurry, but I like it for scale.

    Yeah, it would be fun if you were coming along too!

    ReplyDelete